I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Monday, June 4, 2012

The NIV Boys Bible

I’m coming at this as a father of three kids, and as someone that works with the 9 to 12 year olds in my church.  This Bible is right where I am in my life right now.  And this Bible is a real eye-catcher.  The translation chosen is the New International Version, which I believe is still the most loved, and most popular English version of the Bible.  The cover they have chosen looks like the metal used for deck plates on ships and on steps on heavy trucks.  Very Boy.  It’s a great choice for a boy Bible.

I love this kind of Bible.  There is so much depth to Scripture, but as young men are beginning to think about right and wrong and their spirit it is a great idea to present the Gospel and all of the story of the Bible, but also highlight some things that a young man would find interesting, or just plain fun.  Here are some of the sections that this Bible uses:

Each book of the Bible has an introductory page.  It puts the book into a historical context, tells us who the author is (when known), and spells out all the main people in the book.

There are inserted panels that ask the question that I had when I was the target age.  So “What’s the Big Deal”?  That is really something that people of all ages or stages in their walk wonder.  These panels help to spell out a bit of culture, context and characters and just point the reader in the right direction.

“Makin’ it Real” panels are SO important.  So many people think that the Bible is just an old book, but really it is something that applies to people today... now more than ever.  These insert panels help people be able to apply the Bible to their lives today.

The “Check It Out” inserts bring to light an important verse, or a interesting facts and trivia from the Bible.  It’s stuff that is there in the text for the most part, but the panel draws it out with a bit more explanation.

This was my favourite of the insert panels, and it is something that really makes this a Bible for boys.  The “grossology” panels grab those items that boys would love to know about... gross-out stuff from the Bible.

I was really impressed with this Bible, and I think that for the tween boy, this is an excellent selection!

I was provided a complimentary copy of this bible by B & B Media Groups for my review.  I was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment