I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Last Disciple - Hank Hanegraaff & Sigmund Brouwer

"First-century Rome is a perilous city as Nero stalks the political circles and huddled groups of believers. To be safe, Christians must remain invisible.  Gallus Sergius Vitas is the only man within Nero’s trusted circle willing to do what it takes to keep the empire together. He struggles to lessen Nero’s monstrosities against the people of Rome—especially the Christians. But as three Greek letters are scrawled as graffiti throughout the city, Nero’s anger grows.  As the early church begins to experience the turbulence Christ prophesied as the beginning of the last days, an enemy seeks to find John’s letter, Revelation, and destroy it. Meanwhile the early Christians must decipher it and cling to the hope it provides as they face the greatest of all persecutions." (Publisher's Description)

I bought this book on a whim because it was in the clearance section at the local christian book store and loved it so much I went back and got the second book as well.  The Last Disciple takes place during the Roman Empire and the rule of Nero.  A time when first century Christians were hunted down for their faith and sent to the arena as public entertainment.  I found it very hard to put the book down especially when reading of the scenes in the arena.  The faith of those sent to the lions because of the gospel gave me goosebumps.  Without giving too much away, I will say there is a scene in the end that brought me to tears.  A true example of laying down ones life for another.  The novel ends with a few unanswered questions that made me glad I had rushed back and bought the second book.  I highly recommend this book to any one who enjoys historical fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment