I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

More Lost Than Found - Finding a Way Back to Faith

I have been reading “More Lost than Found: Finding a Way Back to Faith” by Jared Herd.  My first impression of this book was that it was a bit disjointed, and struggled to come to a point.  At the same time the style of the book was more of a reflection on some struggles and some thoughts that Herd went through.

As someone that grew up in the church I can identify with several of the ideas that he presents in the book.  I have seen several of my friends become disillusioned with the church to the point of leaving.

The book seems to try to take the person of God and remove the big institution aspect that often the church has developed into, and Jared Herd wants to refocus the (quite possibly discouraged and disillusioned) reader on the person of Christ, and how Jesus focused on the heart of the person rather than the project that the local church was doing.

There are some things that stood out for me that you will have to read the book to know more about: idea of how the word Christian has shifted from describing the person to saying that something has been sanitized for use, comparing who Jesus asked to follow him versus how some churches only accept certain ‘kinds’ of people, and the idea of moving away from the superficial and into those things that are real in the life and spirit of the person. 

This has been a challenging book and good for a read when you struggle with your faith and how it seems to not match the way the church sometimes behaves.

I have been provided a complimentary copy of this book by Booksneeze, and I am free to evaluate the book as I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment