I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Voice - New Testament

I have been taking a look at The Voice: New Testament. I really like what I am seeing with this Bible translation. The philosophy of the translation is about telling the story that is the Bible. Too many times with the rushed culture we live in, people only read their favourite verses in times of trouble, but rarely do they go through the whole Bible to see the story of it.

The translation team was from two sources: There were the Biblical Scholars that worked with the manuscripts, and there were the people that were more artistic users of the English language. The two groups worked together to stay true to the original documents, while trying to keep the language relevant to modern culture and understanding.

Something that I loved when I saw it was the script style of the writing. The story is being narrated, and then the conversations are formatted like a script. It made the reading fun, and easier to follow. The Voice translators also chose to clarify who Jesus was. He is not Mr. Christ, but Jesus the Christ, or as The Voice translates it, Jesus the Anointed.

This New Testament has small explaining blocks inserted into the text for teaching things about the culture that this book was being written into. It helps with the modern reader in their understanding of the Bible and what may be missed in a surface reading.

I can see this translation being very useful in public worship services, or other times where reading it aloud are needed. I plan on using it with some Tweens that I work with. I think they will have fun with the script aspect.

New Testament has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment