I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Monday, November 7, 2011

Why Men Hate Going to Church - A Review by Jason Rivers

I have a few comments about “Why Men Hate Going to Church” by David Murrow.  I was not sure what to think when I requested this book.  I had, however noticed the same problems that Murrow presents in my own church.  I kept hearing stories of moms that want their kids to be raised in the church, and dads that were indifferent or even opposed to the idea of going to church.  I was in a quest for information about this kind of thing, and the opportunity to read this book came.

I am really impressed with what I am reading.  I am not sure that I agree 100% with the conclusions reached in all places, but I do think this is a good book for any man either outside the church, but still calling themselves a Christian, or men that have been in the church for a long time that are wondering about why other men are not coming in. 

There were two (among others) things that stood out to me.  One was Murrow’s discussion of the “family” mentality versus the “army” mentality in a church, and how that dynamic can play out either to help the church grow, or to sabotage it.  The second was the Huddle that some churches do with the men of the church that A) teaches them something using a visual cue, and B) helps to build into them the opportunity to become the spiritual leader in their homes. 

These were two small things in and among the study of men in the church that spanned several centuries, several denominations, and several styles of service.  This was a challenging book that I recommend.

I was provided a complimentary copy for review by Booksneeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment