I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Book of Man By William J. Bennett

I have been reading The Book of Man by William J. Bennett.  This book was not what I expected.  There was so much in it even to the point of being overwhelming, but it is very obvious that a lot of research has gone into its development.  The topic is commendable and timely.  I sought out this topic for reading as I keep seeing in my life men that are walking away from their wives and children and abandoning their Godly call.  It saddens me.

I was so pleased to go through this book.  It is divided into 6 sections: Man in War, Man at Work, Man in Play, Sports and Leisure, Man in Polis, Man with Woman and Child, and Man in Prayer and Reflection.  As a family man and a Christian I paid particular attention to the last two sections.  What I was hoping for was some things I could apply to life, and the writings from all points in history were interesting, but I could only really pull nuggets out of the text.  This is an excellent volume to have on a shelf for reference or for conversation, but it was very difficult to get through all of it. 

That being said, I do recommend it to men that desire to see what it means to be a man, to men that desire to help to raise their boy to be a man.  It mixed poetry with profiles of men that accomplished huge things, to sports legends, to generals.  Men of all walks of life, and all social status’ speak into the lives of men today with the same impact that challenges each of us now to step up.  I found the book challenging, and encouraging.

I was provided a complimentary copy by Booksneeze for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment