I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Most Misused Verses in the Bible


Book by Eric J. Bargerhuff
Review By Jason Rivers

I love books like this.  This kind of book really reminds us there is a proper way to understand and examine the Scriptures.  The premise of the book is that there are some really great verses out there that people grab because on their own they sound amazing, but when read within the passage they can mean something entirely different.  If I could summarize this book in a word, it would be context, context, CONTEXT!

I was pleased to see that I understood what most of the passages meant, but it was some of the Old Testament passages that I was a bit surprised by.  Jeremiah 29:11 is a great verse, for example, but when you read it in the chapter, and apply some historical context, it may not be as universal in application as it has been used by many in the church.

2 Chronicles 7:14 is another one of my favourite ones, but again it was written into a specific time in history, for a certain situation.  It is interesting to see how a verse like that can be pulled out.  I have heard sermons that just focused on that verse.  I have seen prayer meetings start at 7:14 to mimic this verse’s address, but have never been shown the context it was written in, nor have I thought it important enough to take the time to look myself… Until now.

Another issue that Bargerhuff raises is the quoting of verses incorrectly.  Much of the meaning can be lost to misquoting.  “Money is the root of all evil” is one example.  “God will not give you more than you can handle” is another one.  Both of these verses have some really good exegesis in the book.

This is a really good book.  I am not sure that I agree with all of the conclusions that the author comes to, it sure has made me want to dig more into scripture.  As one that teaches young people, I only want to teach them what is true based on what the Bible says….and means!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment