I have been given the opportunity to do some reviews on some books from a few different publishers. Some of them do not quite fit into the focus I have for Living Infuzion, but obviously have some good information. Here are some of my perspectives on some pretty good books! Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Love You More By Jennifer Grant

Love You More – The Divine Surprise of Adopting My Daughter by Jennifer Grant is about one woman’s journey down the road to adopting a child in a foreign country.  She addresses issues of life, love, change, family, faith, birth, miscarriage and many more.  She writes of where she came from and the family that she had before adding to her family by adopting.  She reflects on some of the things people said when she told them of her plan to adopt, and she describes how detailed and excruciating the process can be.  She talks about the struggles of integrating the new child into her established family.

As someone considering the idea of adoption in the future, I grabbed this book to get a bit of a window into the process.  I liked the book.  It was an easy reading story, filled with drama and disappointment, but also filled with the highs of love and family.  I was stunned to read some of the comments made by people about the idea of adoption.  When something is different, people will invariably say things to make themselves look rude.  This was one of the things that stuck out to me.  How would people respond to someone that is not biologically mine being in my family?  I was also struck by the bravery of Mia.  She left everything that she knew and moved into a different culture.  I was stuck by Ms. Grant’s discussions about learning how to include some sides of Mia’s birth culture in food and other ways.  One last thing that stood out was Jenifer Grant’s discussion of miscarriage and how she encouraged women that had experienced one to buy something to mark the child lost.  In her case she bought a special cross to remind her of the one lost.  My wife and I went through a miscarriage. So this pulled at my heart.

This was a good read.  It was a little disjointed at times, but if you are contemplating adoption I recommend it. 

I have been provided a copy of the book from Book Sneeze for my review.  All opinions are mine.  I am not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment